The list is compiled by the senior researchers in the winter school. It is inspired by the discussions and the recommendations in the sessions.
Meta Research and Methodology
- Jacob O. Wobbrock and Julie A. Kientz. 2016. Research contributions in human-computer interaction. interactions 23, 3 (April 2016), 38-44. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2907069
- How to write a good research paper by Simon Jones. Microsoft Research ( material)
- How to write a great research proposal by Simon Peyton Jones and Alan Bundy. Microsoft Research ( material)
- How to give a great research talk by Simon Peyton Jones, John Launchbury, and John Hughes. Microsoft Research ( material)
- Jacob O. Wobbrock. 2015. Catchy Titles Are Good: But Avoid Being Cute. ( article)
- Reframing by Jon Kolko ( slides)
- Jonathan Grudin. 2009. AI and HCI: Two Fields Divided by a Common Focus. AI Magazine, 30(4), p.48. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1609/aimag.v30i4.2271
Amplifying Human Senses
- ERC amplify project homepage
- Albrecht Schmidt. Augmenting Human Intellect and Amplifying Perception and Cognition. IEEE Pervasive Computing, 16 (1), pp. 6–10, 2017. doi: 10.1109/MPRV.2017.8
- Albrecht Schmidt. Technologies to Amplify the Mind. Computer, 50 (10), pp. 102–106, 2017. doi: 10.1109/MC.2017.3641644
- Albrecht Schmidt and Thomas Herrmann. Intervention user interfaces: a new interaction paradigm for automated systems. ACM interactions 24, 5, 2017. doi: 10.1145/3121357
- A. Schmidt “Understanding and researching through making: a plea for functional prototypes.” ACM Interactions Magazine, no. 3, 2017, pp. 78–81. doi: 10.1145/3058498
- Manfred Broy, Albrecht Schmidt. Challenges in Engineering Cyber-Physical Systems. IEEE Computer. Feb. 2014 (vol.47 no. 2). pp. 70-72. doi: 10.1109/MC.2014.30
- Albrecht Schmidt, Marc Langheinrich, Kristian Kersting, “Perception beyond the Here and Now,” Computer, vol. 44, no. 2,pp. 86-88, Feb. 2011, doi:10.1109/MC.2011.54
- Albrecht Schmidt: Augmenting Human Intellect and Amplifying Perception and Cognition. IEEE Pervasive Computing 16(1):6-10 (2017), doi:10.1109/MPRV.2017.8
- Hollan, J., Hutchins, E. and Kirsh, D., 2000. Distributed cognition: toward a new foundation for human-computer interaction research. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI), 7(2), pp.174-196.
- Clark, A. and Chalmers, D., 1998. The extended mind. analysis, 58(1), pp.7-19.
- Kirsh, D., 2010. Thinking with external representations. Ai & Society, 25(4), pp.441-454.
- Stahl, G., 2006. Group Cognition: Computer Support for Building Collaborative Knowledge (Acting with Technology).
- Bush, V.,1945. As we may think. The Atlantic, July 1945, pp.101-108.
- Licklider, J. C. R., 1960. Man-Computer Symbiosis. IRE Transactions on Human Factors in Electronics, HFE-1, March 1960, pp 4-11
- Engelbart, D. C. 1962. Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework. SRI Summary Report AFOSR-3223. October 1962.
- Weiser, M., 1991. The computer for the 21st century. Scientific American 265.3, pp94-104, 1991.